Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

continuity detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetwo

components of the season to all.
I was wondering if there is an equipment that can detect a continuity brake in a wire without having the wire cut or caved ? can i build one? how does it work?

Detect a continuity break in wire without the wire being cut? If it were not cut or "open" in some way, it wouldn't have a continuity break.

Perhaps your question is too ambiguous. Please explain exactly what it is you are asking. I understand that English is probably not your native language.

If you are looking for a simple way to build a continuity circuit, there isn't anything much simpler than a battery and light bulb.

1st lead wire----battery---jumper wire---bulb----2nd lead wire

Connecting the leads to an unbroken conductor will cause the bulb to light, connecting to a broken conductor will fail to light the bulb. Good practice when doing continuity tests is
1) to make sure no secondary power source is in the circuit, as this could damage both tester and circuit
2) touch tester leads together prior to checking the conductor to make sure bulb and battery are working
3) touch leads together after checking conductor to make sure bulb and battery are still working.

edit...after doing a little thinking about your question, I believe you may be asking about checking continuity with a cable or wire that is connected in circuit and insulated where making electrical contact with a tester leads is difficult.

While I'm not aware of any non-contact type of continuity test, there ARE alternating current voltage testers that pick up the fields created by AC voltage that can be used to trace a wire to find the point of break. But these only work with AC, typically mains. Another way of determining continuity in a live circuit is with a clamp on amp-probe...if a wire that is supposed to be live and carrying current shows no amps, then the troubleshooting person could trace voltages to determine the point of break.

Last edited:
Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR)

The TDR works on the same principle as radar. When that pulse reaches the end of the cable, or a fault along the cable, part or all of the pulse energy is reflected back to the instrument. Any impedance change in cable such as a break will cause some energy to reflect back toward the TDR and will be displayed.

Normally used on very long cables such as CCTV co-axial installations, though it wll work with pretty much any conductor. Not a perfect solution but does give a good indication of where the problem will be.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back