Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant Current Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_newaskar

Friend please help me for making a constant current source circuit.
I have 2 make a CC source which can provide constant current though variations in temprature occurs(Parameters-Current can be adjustable between 0-1A, variation in temp can be 25degree to 90 degree, voltage should change according to temp. to achieve const. currrent)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered using the LM117 or LM317 configured in a current mode? The data sheet gives a few examples. Read the linked to data sheet.

Ron

This sounds like a homework / schoolwork assignment. If you want to approach building a constant current source using discreet components I suggest you start looking at circuits using an operational amplified driving a transistor. You make no mention of why the use of a LM317 would not be practical?

Current can be adjustable between 0-1A, variation in temp can be 25degree to 90 degree, voltage should change according to temp. to achieve const. currrent)...

Convert the voltage out from a temperature sensor to drive the input of an op-amp that in turn drives a transistor. You will likely need a linear voltage change as opposed to temperature.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank u so much Ron. This is very helpful for me....
Can u please tel me which transistor 2 use for following specificaton.
Collector Current Ic= 50mA
Vmax= 350volts
Power dissipation= 150Watts

I saw your other thread. I am sorry but now with this:

Collector Current Ic= 50mA
Vmax= 350volts
Power dissipation= 150Watts

I do not know what you are trying to do? Initially I assumed incorrectly a low voltage current source of 0 to 1 Amp. Now I have no idea exactly what you are trying to do?

Ron

50mA at 350V is only 17.5W, not 150W.
For 150W, you must use many transistors, a huge heatsink and maybe a fan, not just one transistor.
For 150W at 350V then the current is 429mA, not just 50mA.

Sounds like an off-line mains PSU? For LED driving maybe? There are better ways to get a regulated 50mA current than running direct from rectified 240v mains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back