Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Considering buying a Po.Scope - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what you want to use it for, but its sampling rate is too low in my opinion.

I use a PicoScope 2104 which I find far more useful for most of the stuff I do with PIC's than my 20Mhz dual trace conventional oscilloscope.

It would be nice to a have dual trace version of the PicoScope, but I couldn't justify the cost against the amount of use it gets.

My personal opinion: yes is worth 200$
I bought cca. 1 year ago for around 70€ directly from Boris (some action for members on local (slovenian) electronics forum www.elektronik.si)
It is great equipment for hobby; it have great protocol analysis for UART, SPI, I2C, 1 Wire and a lot of more... :p
Try directly contact Boris po.labs@gmail.com
You can buy only osciloscope+SW without probes (99€); I made my ones from old monitor BNC cable (so I have 5 probes :D , for hobby is OK)
Then you receive updates for SW or firmware directly on mail; upload firmware directly from SW...
I had some questons about it and I always received response from Boris; great support

Toni

futz,
I have bitscope - https://www.bitscope.com/
here, which was more expensive, arguably better, but I've never really liked it too much (mostly software problems,) and now only use it as logic analyzer.

There is a guy in Surry who rebuilds tek scopes, and who could probably set you up with a very good deal on an analog scope for not too much more than a PC scope.

Parallax Scope

Futz,

I bought a Parallax USB Scope after I figured out that the "sound card" stuff wouldn't see DC square wave pulses very well. At least my sound card wouldn't.

Was like $135 US and for the most part works pretty good. I was able recently to use it to adjust my IR xmit pulses to exactly 26 ms. 13 high, 13 low. I was also able to use it to capture the pulse train from the remote to see what the actual data looked like for my Panasonic remote. Clipped on to the output of the TSOP1138 I was using. Nice pulse train. I am sure there are better, but for less that $150, it has done the job :)

Many interesting replies and opinions. I'm still not spending any money. One of these days... :D

BeeBop said:
There is a guy in Surrey who rebuilds tek scopes, and who could probably set you up with a very good deal on an analog scope for not too much more than a PC scope.
Does he have a web-site and/or a store, or does he work at home? Got any contact info?

He has an eBay store. Shipping is a bear, but you can pick up and save.

Site is worth a look; he has some old relics and a gallery of collectors...

THE OSCILLOSCOPE STORE AT **broken link removed**

No problem!
There doesn't seem to be much there right now, you have to keep checking. I did see a 2465 (4chan, 350 MHz.) there at one time, and the price was very good.
Good hunting!

I'm using the 310U on windoz.
To be fair, when it way my only scope, I did use it quite a bit. I don't really like their software, and don't have the inclination or time to write my own. Past versions of the DSO have crashed, and been erratic, but the current one seems to work not too badly. When my bitscope is plugged in to a USB port, if I switch on my fluorescent desk lamp, windoz thinks a device has been plugged in. With the last DSO, I had to re-install the driver every time this happened.
I also have never been able to use both channels at the same time on mine, but do use it as a logic analyzer, and that seems to work fairly well.
However, I did drop more coin on the Bitscope (around $600) than I did on my 350 MHz Tek scope, and would much rather use the tek!

I have BT310U on Windows also. It is sensitive to glitches and stops working when I turn on soldering iron, for example; however, I don't need to reinstall the driver when it happens - I just disconnect USB cable and connect it back in couple seconds.

Other than that it works very well. This is my second Bitscope. The first one is BT120 I built from parts a while ago.

They are simple to install and give professional results

Hi,
I have 2 of these little beauties. The provide instant X Y Z samples of signal directions for my research. for ionospheric analysis of ion collisions.
We may be getting more as funds become available
see my research Google 'p.hollis-watts' and qrz.com lookup VK6KPH
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back