Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

Hi,

May i know for panel mount type connector, for flange connector of 4 sided screw. Beside flange type connector, any other type for screw lock? I dont want a 2 sided screw type, the screw lock, is it called jam nut type?
Please advise

?????????

A photo of what you want or where it has to plug into would help.

Okie,may i know the difference between flange connector and jam nut connector? Jam nut should be referring to screw lock on panel mount?while flang e mount, hv to use screw on 4 corners to secure it?

shermaine said:
Okie,may i know the difference between flange connector and jam nut connector? Jam nut should be referring to screw lock on panel mount?while flang e mount, hv to use screw on 4 corners to secure it?

Is there a reason you have to choose between a "flange connector" and a "jam nut connector," or are those terms you have come across and just want to know what they mean? If it is the latter, your assumption seems reasonable.

If you need more detail, you may find the answers in any of the on-line catalogs, such as at:

https://www.digikey.com

BTW: "Okie" is the accepted spelling for and originally referred to an impoverished migrant from Oklahoma in the USA. Today, the term has lost much of the pejorative meaning and is sometimes used to impart a certain fondness or likableness. It is probably not a good idea, however, to begin a post that way.

John

jpanhalt said:
BTW: "Okie" is the accepted spelling for and originally referred to an impoverished migrant from Oklahoma in the USA. Today, the term has lost much of the pejorative meaning and is sometimes used to impart a certain fondness or likableness. It is probably not a good idea, however, to begin a post that way.

That's obviously only of limited use to a VERY small minority of the worlds population :D , and it's FAR more likely he meant 'Okay' (or OK) - but presumably English isn't his first language?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
That's obviously only of limited use to a VERY small minority of the worlds population :D , and it's FAR more likely he meant 'Okay' (or OK) - but presumably English isn't his first language?.

OK Oklahoma, OK :D

It's part of a song. The Okies who read it will understand.

My real point was a mild frustration with misspelling and lack of basic grammar. Sure, all of our posts have typos and other slip-ups that we would not want to include in normal business communications; however, some are so bad as to obscure the meaning. I think it is more a matter of bad habits borne of text messaging and the internet.

It was not a big deal, and to me it was somewhat humorous, as I am proud to be at least part Okie. That is not to say all misspellings are so benign, and we shouldn't strive to improve. John

Okie didn't particularly bother me - most Americans know what an Okie is and I kind of doubt many would have been confused. However, "4 sided screw" made me scratch my head.

A picture, indeed, is worth a thousand words.

By the way, mouser, digikey and other's catalogs will often have pictures that help with the correct terminology.

philba said:
"4 sided screw" made me scratch my head.

Me too, or is that I also (scratch my head). Terminology can get confusing in a multi-national English forum with so many different English dialects.

So I did some research on "screw". Trust the U.S.A. Homeland Security to print a 21 page report pointing out the difference between a bolt and a screw:

**broken link removed**

...because of course, bolts are taxed differently than screws, so they wouldn't want to get them confused.

Cheers, Bob:D

Last edited:
Thank you, Bob.

Well, I definitely feel safer now that I know:
"2. DEFINITIONS
2.1 Bolt
A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through the holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by torquing a nut.
2.2 Screw
A screw is an externally threaded fastener capable of being inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with a preformed internal thread or forming its own thread, and of being tightened or released by torquing the head."

I just hope we can screw the terrorists before they all bolt to Pakistan. John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back