Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connections on Computer Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi.

You know thoses little microphones that you get with computers (usually go in the red socket on the back of your PC). Does anyone know which connections are which?

You can choose from Ground, Mic, and Mic Power. I assume the ground is the jacket like usual... but apart from that I have no idea.

Anyone know? :?

Thanks

Tim

The other two sections of the plug may be stereo (left positive and right positive). You can find out which is which by inserting the plug partially, until you hear sound from one side or the other. This will tell you that the SECOND portion of your plug is for that side. Then the tip portion of the plug is for the opposite side.

Does this help?

All those little mics are electret type with two or three wires.
Get same jack like you have on microphone, don't connect any
wires to it - just remove the hood and plug the jack into your PC's
sound card.
Now you can take a multimeter to find positive terminal.
Negative should be jacket. Touching third one (mic output) with piece
of metal should produce rough clicking noise if your speakers are
working and mic input is not muted.

Johnson, It seems like a good idea, but unfortunately it is a mono mic - which is what makes it more confusing (thanks anyway)

Panic, ermm, ok

I think I see. Do you mean that I connect the multimeter to the jacket and one of the others and use it like an ammeter to see if any current is flowing? - if it is then this would be the 'mic power'?

also, the one that makes a noise when i touch it would be the 'mic' (i.e. signal) pin?

Thanks

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back