Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connection between MAX 232 (level converter) and DB 9 pin connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Gang

Hi,
Is it normal for an MAX 232 (level converter) to be connected to two DB 9 pin connectors?

Thanks in advance.

Li

MAX232 contains two transmitters and two receivers.

If your RS232 connection only requires Tx and Rx, without hardware handshakes, then one MAX232 can service two 9 pin ports.

If handshakes are required, then MAX 232 can only service one port.

In my limited experience, I would say that using one MAX 232 for two ports is unusual, but I see no reason not to.

Last edited:
A practical minimum interface is TD, RD, SG and DTR, DSR.

DTR and DSR allows stuff to be port powered. RS-232 has been so screwed up from the original specification, so you never knew which was was up.

A way to look at the spec is:
DSR/DTR basically says the device has power
CTS/RTS is basically for hardware handshaking. RTS - can also be looked at as "answer the phone" and CTS - Phone has been answered
RI - the phone is ringing
SG - Signal ground
PG - Protective ground

The RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR functions were not implemented correctly in many devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back