Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

There is a way to connect two computers with a cross over cable. I connected two computers with cross over cable. but what are the ip settings to be done. How to configure the two computers. I tried severals ways but no success.

Could you pls help me.

many thanks.

I want to connect with cat5 (ethernet) cross over cable.

The configuration does not mention only com1, LPT or infra red.
Which one should i use. Does it same.I went to www.lpt.com web. but not mentioned about ethernet port.

the website i mentioned only talks about connecting two computers using a direct cable connection. thats different from ethernet. im sorry i only have experience with direct cable connection because ive always had just two computers to connect (at a low price) so i never considered ethernet. but im sure a couple of other forum members like Tim might be able to help u

right.

first things first. In my experience, IP addresses are really of no issue. I just let windows do what the hell it wanted. (I assume you're using windows...?)

Secondly, It should work in a very similar way to a full network, so you should be able to use the windows network setup wizard to set it up for you.

Btw, what os's are you using?

Thirdly, this being an electronics forum and all, you will get hugely better help at a dedicated computer forum (not to say we won't try and help, but y'know, we don't know everything). Personally, I'd recomend https://www.techsupportforum.com/ - They do seem to know everything!

Tim

Give each of the computers an IP address, then set a folder or drive on each computer as shared.

For example, give computer 1 the IP of 192.168.0.1 and the other computer the IP of 192.168.0.2 then name each computer, and make them both part of the same workgroup, and restart them. After this you will need to go to the network settings and turn on "file and printer sharing"

here is a link that will hopefully help:

**broken link removed**

Basically, each PC has to be of the same subset of IP's, with the same workgroup, and have something to share on the network for the 2 to be able to "see" each other when connected. You may have to refresh the network neighborhood folder several times before they appear, due to the way that Windows polls for network PC.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
Hi all,

There is a way to connect two computers with a cross over cable. I connected two computers with cross over cable. but what are the ip settings to be done. How to configure the two computers. I tried severals ways but no success.

Could you pls help me.

many thanks.

Is one of 'em (or both) running winXP? If so, just run the network wizard, it sorts it all out for you.

**broken link removed**

Basically, each PC has to be of the same subset of IP's, with the same workgroup,

Hi

I went to the above web and configure my lap top according ly.

Now I am in trouble, I could not log in aftre resetting the lap top. My password is not recognising.

This is what I did :

Went to the system properties

and changed " member of " from "domain: to "work group"

Then I reset the computer, Now I cannot login to it.

My lap top is using

Windows 2000 professional

and Novell client for windows..

Is is configured to our office LAN.

Is there any possiblities to logon to the Laptop, then I can reverse the settings what I did.

OR do I need to go to my system administrator.

I would be much appreciated your idea and helps.

Many thanks

On the login screen, hit the button advanced. Then, type in "domain" instead of the domain specified there... alternatively try logging in with the username "Administrator" and the password blank.

Hope that helps ?

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back