Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting SCADA with uC...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

Hi,

I want to know can we connect SCADA (intounch) with uC like PIC without using PLC???
if yes then why PLC are preferred??

BTW what is "SCADA" ?

In malaysia, SCADA is the system (company) who tenders all the communication towers for Mobile phone communications so all different mobile service providers would share a common tower for their RBS instead of installing their own RBS on different buildings.

Allen

Hi,

I want to know can we connect SCADA (intounch) with uC like PIC without using PLC???
if yes then why PLC are preferred??

What kind of SCADA system? And what you want the uC to do? SCADA is just Data Acquisition, System monitoring and Supervisory level control (intervention when something goes wrong, setting system parameters etc.). I don't even think there is any standards to build SCADA system. It is just a general name for the concept. You can connect your uC to a terminal program via rs232 and call it SCADA.

PLC is used in SCADA systems because.. well, that is what industry uses. Practically all PLC manufacturers today provide integrated SCADA systems, so it is convenient to buy the whole system from the same supplier.

If you are talking about implementing some of the standard communication protocols in uC, then at least modbus has been ported to many microcontrollers. https://www.freemodbus.org/

Last edited:
There all kinds of bus
Communication infrastructure and methods [edit]
SCADA systems have traditionally used combinations of radio and direct wired connections, although SONET/SDH is also frequently used for large systems such as railways and power stations. The remote management or monitoring function of a SCADA system is often referred to as telemetry. Some users want SCADA data to travel over their pre-established corporate networks or to share the network with other applications. The legacy of the early low-bandwidth protocols remains, though.
SCADA protocols are designed to be very compact. Many are designed to send information only when the master station polls the RTU. Typical legacy SCADA protocols include Modbus RTU, RP-570, Profibus and Conitel. These communication protocols are all SCADA-vendor specific but are widely adopted and used. Standard protocols are IEC 60870-5-101 or 104, IEC 61850 and DNP3. These communication protocols are standardized and recognized by all major SCADA vendors. Many of these protocols now contain extensions to operate over TCP/IP. Although the use of conventional networking specifications, such as TCP/IP, blurs the line between traditional and industrial networking, they each fulfil fundamentally differing requirements.[4]
With increasing security demands (such as North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and critical infrastructure protection (CIP) in the US), there is increasing use of satellite-based communication. This has the key advantages that the infrastructure can be self-contained (not using circuits from the public telephone system), can have built-in encryption, and can be engineered to the availability and reliability required by the SCADA system operator. Earlier experiences using consumer-grade VSAT were poor. Modern carrier-class systems provide the quality of service required for SCADA.[5]
RTUs and other automatic controller devices were developed before the advent of industry wide standards for interoperability. The result is that developers and their management created a multitude of control protocols. Among the larger vendors, there was also the incentive to create their own protocol to "lock in" their customer base. A list of automation protocols is compiled here.
Recently, OLE for process control (OPC) has become a widely accepted solution for intercommunicating different hardware and software, allowing communication even between devices originally not intended to be part of an industrial network.

Can we just go for "No" and forget this thread existed rather than it get to 16 pages? :rolleyes:

Just a question!

Mike.

Hi,

I am asking that we use costly PLC with scada for automation ?
if we are trying to make a small automation can we connect any uC like PIC with scada intounch for communication of sensors to PC(with scada) without using PLC??

Last edited:
That is complete gibberish. Do you have a question? If so, please state it with a question mark at the end of it. Also, it would be nice if you explain why you are asking such an obscure question.

Mike.

Last edited:
I am asking this because if we control two or more sensor for any automation process or building a project for own.
so, buying PLC will be very expensive so, is there any chance with going with uC??

I am asking this because if we control two or more sensor for any automation process or building a project for own.
so, buying PLC will be very expensive so, is there any chance with going with uC??

How many sensors, exactly? Is it an automation process, or are you building a project of your own?
What do you expect us to answer when you can´t decide what the hell you are asking about?

can we connect any uC like PIC with scada intounch for communication of sensors to PC(with scada) without using PLC??

Simple answer is YES. It is your system.. you should know. You can do what ever you like. What ever works... go for it! It is all about establishing communication between the monitoring software and whatever you are monitoring. Read the InTouch manual or contact support.. assuming you paid the ~3000 USD for the software..

Last edited:

Yes, you can go with simple solution.. be creative! You don't have to buy the cutting edge software or equipment.

I am asking that we use costly PLC with scada for automation ?

Costly? Why would you pay 3000 USD for industrial grade scada software to monitor single microcontroller? The equipment connected to PLC can cost hundred+ times more than the control system itself.

Last edited:
Call me weird, but if Ritesh asks that question in dedicated PLC forum, I will get some soda and popcorn and lean back for the entertainment!

There's a guy on that Forum who wrote his own HMI software package. Perhaps Ritesh can get some help from him?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a guy on that Forum who wrote his own HMI software package. Perhaps Ritesh can get some help from him?

You have no idea.. I'll get my popcorns ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back