Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting non-isolated rectified mains ground to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Hi,

If I have a non-isolated PSU (basically rectified and smoothed mains) can I have this circuits ground common with the ground of a USB cable between it and a PC.

I'm thinking not as the USB ground is probably isolated, so if that is the case, how can make a common ground? Basically so that the logic circuits connected do USB can control power IGBT's switching the rectified mains?

Very DANGEROUS! It would (should) trip an ELCB. Use an optoisolator or a mains-rated transformer.

Instant destruction of the PC!!! Likely you as well, when you touch the PC cabinet.

I did this by accident to a very nice laptop.

Kaboom

Dead laptop.

Dont do it.

A usb isolator might work, however they may not be rated for mains voltage isolation wise.

You do that only if you are competing for a Darwin award.
The mains must always be isolated from any circuits or equipment (transformer or opto isolator as already noted).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back