Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting micro c to rs 232

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby_85

hey,

i have been trying to play around with a locationing device, making use of ultrasound and RF signals. The details (if necessary) are in the previous thread. called: 'massive help needed'

anyway, i have a micro controller that receives 2 signals every few seconds. the 2 signals come right after each other, and the mc takes the difference in the time the two arrives.

now, i need this information (difference in time) to be sent into the PC for analysis. plus, i keep getting info every couple of seconds. Im having trouble understand how i can go about sending this constant stream to the PC. I was thinking of using an rs232 connection and a MAX 232 chip. I got the circuit diagram on this website:

**broken link removed**

my question is:
Is it correct?

Where does the Rx & Tx get connected to in the MC. i presume that the Rx is, in my case, the info that the MC spits back to the PC every few seconds. does Tx need to be connected at all?

i have a laptop, so can i use a rs232 to usb converter after this. is there anyway i can connect the MC via usb without a rs232?

ive never used a rs232 before, so what next? is there a way i can read the data on say, MAPLE or MATLAB?

thanks heaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back