Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting ADC to Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

magna

Hello,

I'm looking at connecting this chip (National ADC 0801) to the Serial Port to read some data.

Does anyone have a basic (read: real basic) circuit that I could do this with?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/03/ADC0801.pdf

Hopefully - I'll then be able to just read the serial port from VB to get the current voltage being put through the ADC.

Thank You,
Aaron

EDIT: This chip might be a parralel chip. Hmm <confused>

magna said:
Hello,

I'm looking at connecting this chip (National ADC 0801) to the Serial Port to read some data.

Does anyone have a basic (read: real basic) circuit that I could do this with?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/03/ADC0801-1.pdf

Hopefully - I'll then be able to just read the serial port from VB to get the current voltage being put through the ADC.

Thank You,
Aaron

EDIT: This chip might be a parralel chip. Hmm <confused>

Yes, I think it is - it would make it complicated to read it from a serial port. Probably the simplest way is to use a PIC with an internal A2D, for a little bit of programming you get a single chip which takes the analogue input and provides an output to feed the serial port.

You can get various serial mode A2D, but these still usually require connecting to the parallel port - they don't output standard asyncronous RS232.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back