Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting a LED meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigthugdoug

I am building a circuit that measures and displays both AC and DC current. I have a Hall-effect sensor that measures a current (0-10A) and outputs a voltage (0-6V). How do I get a LED display to show me the value of the current? If more info is needed, please feel free to let me know, as I would really appreciate any kind of assistance someone can give.

Use a digital meter. Most digital meters read full scale at 200 mV input so you will need a voltage divider that reduces 6 V to 100 mV (100 mV = 10 amps). The meter will come with instructions for setting the decimal point so it reads 10.0.

Thanks for the idea. I am amazed that I hadn't come up with that with as easy as it should be. It's almost a little embarresing but I definetly thank you for the help.

Also see page 53 of the September 2003 the Australian magazine "Silicon Chip"

The article is entitled "Current clamp adapter for multimeters" it uses a Hall Effect device inside a clamp that is placed over the wire to be measured (ie. no electrical connection is necessary) and they claim it can be used for up to 150 Amp for DC and 630 Amp for AC (with a -3dB point at 20kHz)

The output is connected to a normal digital multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back