Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a Helicopter RC to my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayo

Hi All,

I have a small RC helicopter that I got for 20$ in china.
I would really like to connect the remote control somehow to my PC and write a software that will control the helicopter.
I have a very good programming skills, but my electronics is not that great.
I have opened the remote control and it seems that it uses 4 channels, each one is controlled using a variable resistor that is being turned when I shift the stick.

How can I implement a very simple circuit that will control the variable resistance using a computer?

Thanks,

Shay

You would need a very complex sensor suite for the software to detect what is going on in the helicopter to make accurate decisions otherwise it would be the same as you trying to fly the helicopter with your eyes closed. You would also need at least some understanding of control theory to implement with your programming skills. (It's like knowing a bunch of math but knowing no physics so you can't use the math for anything useful).

Last edited:
Let me take care of the control program...I'm a PhD student and have a good experience writing software to control things using cameras and other sensors.

I just need to understand how to implement the basic circuit that connects the remote control to the computer.

Get a zigbee module so you can wireless interface your PC via a UART/USB/RS-232 and connect a IMU from Microstrain or something like that for the sensor suite. And also connect the Zigbee to the motor drivers on the heli.

Been a struggling pilot for a couple of years now, and still haven't managed stable flight. Hope you have plenty of replacement parts... This is going to be a very difficult and expensive project. I doubt a $20 heli could carry the added weight of the needed sensors, and a bigger battery. My Blade CP claims 15 minutes flight time on a charge, I'm lucky to keep it in the air for one minute or so, before crashing... But usually a charge will last me enough take offs to get thoroughly frustrated for the day. Really can't see a benefit for a computer interface, flying is very hands on. You have to check everything after a crash, adjust the trim... While flying, you need to make constant adjustments to just hover (doesn't just hang there in one place, until you move it). A light breeze, is a major battle, forget flying on a windy or gusty day. Soft crashes are rough on the rotor blades, haven't had a hard crash yet, but its not going to be good.

use parallel port and connect the remote control with that replace jog with transistor for operation and use c program to control by using keyboard up and down keys that u assign in program if are more interested place some wifi camera to see.

I got my $30.00 RC (infrared controlled actually) helicopter free from Energizer battery company. I can fly it pretty well.

In the real aeronautical world, flying a plane is like riding a bicicle. Flying an helicopter is like riding a monocycle, while doing jugglery with the hands and playing a guitar with your tongue, all at the same time.

The airplanes are stable by design (except the flying wings), if you get the hands off the controls nothing is gonna happen, at least inmediately. The helicopters need continuous control inputs to stay in the air.

The same applies to RC models, with the added detail that you are not onboard and don't have any instruments, except your eyes

So forget it, if Honeywell and other avionics companies have not being able to create an autopilot for a full scale helicopter, I predict the same destiny for your heli.

Instead, get a cheap RC airplane, I'm pretty sure that, with your PC experience, you will be able to get better results and be less frustrated. You only need 4 channels, for elevator, ruder, ailerons, and throttle

Last edited:
Helicopters don't fly..........they beat the air into submission.

That said, listen to menticol & harveyh42, they know what they're talking about.

I have flown military helicopters, it takes a huge amount of skill just to hover, and even more skill to achieve coordinated forward flight.

Start with something a lot easier, like a car or boat, then go for fixed wing aircraft. If you are still interested in doing this after that, you will have a very good understanding of what it will take to control a helicopter.

I don't think you want to get hung-up on the electronics since the main problem is going to be the software anyways. You can buy R/C controllers which have computer interfaces. Search for "pc controlled R/C", e.g.:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back