Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a dpst to remote stereo speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrylr

Hi all,
I have been trying, without success, to use a dpst, to turn remote speakers on or off. The first setup tried was connecting the positive wires from the amplifier right and left channels to the common lugs on the dpst, then connecting wires from the dpst output lugs to both positive speaker binding posts. The negative wires were connected, without interruption, from the amp to the negative speaker binding posts. I used a meter to check the dpst and found both right and left common and output lugs had continuity, in both the on and off position.
I disconnected all wires from the dpst and found the unconnected positive wires had continuity. To reduce work in resolving the problem, I focused on the right channel speaker and disconnected it's positive wire.
I reconnected the amp positive wire to the dpst common lug and the speaker wire to the dpst output lug. The switch worked properly. What caused the continuity problem in the first setup. How do I make this work?

Thanks,
henrylr

I'm not good a word problems. Can you post a circuit diagram of all the connection arrangements and how they worked?

I think you may be mistaking continuity with "0" (zero) resistance. Most continuity checkers will respond even though the resistance being considered is greater than 0 ohms.

Try your test using the lowest resistance setting (X1 [times 1] or whatever is lowest). My guess is that you'll see something like 4, 8, maybe 16ohms or even greater.

I say this because your test:
...I disconnected all wires from the dpst and found the unconnected positive wires had continuity...
indicates that you were measuring the continuity (actually the resistance) of the two speakers (in series), since both the negative leads were connected together.

It strikes me that your original wiring would have worked just fine.

You may have mistaken both your test and your results as shorts, rather than the collective resistance of your speakers as well as any internal resistance of your amp final stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back