Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connect Solar panels to small home UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatron

Hi
I just wonder, is it possible to connect solar panels directly somewhere on the board of a ups so that I can use the charger the batteries and the inverter of it?
Thanks in advance for helping

Perhaps directly in parallel with the battery, if it's 12volt rated and the panel is as well. The wattage even a large solar array can put out is nothing in comparison to the storage capacity of a large battery, and will aid nothing if mains is still available.

UPS's are designs for one purpose ONLY, short to moderate duration of mains power.

Hi
I just wonder, is it possible to connect solar panels directly somewhere on the board of a ups so that I can use the charger the batteries and the inverter of it?
Thanks in advance for helping
UPS batteries are almost always sealed deep cycle batteries which can be easily permanently damaged by overcharging with a straight solar panel (not true of normal flooded deep cycle batteries that are not sealed). It's preferable that you use a solar charge controller that is compatible with sealed batteries (usually a switch or DIP switch setting on the controller for flooded vs sealed batteries) - these will prevent you from accidentally overcharging the more "delicate" sealed type batteries. What happens when you overcharge a sealed battery is that it will off-gas (hydrogen and oxygen) reducing the electrolyte in the battery. And, of course, since it's sealed there's no way of replacing it. I've gone through so many(cheap) UPS's through normal use I'd swear that the default AC charging circuit in them must be designed to purposely overcharge the battery and reduce the lifetime. Batteries charge and discharged right should last several years, but that plays poorly for the era when most things are designed with short terms of planned obsolescence in mind.

There's no reason this shouldn't work - connecting the solar panel to the charge controller and then the controller across the terminal of the battery directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back