Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connect DVD player rca video to lcd monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexin

I have a lcd monitor with only VGA input. How do I connect it with my DVD player with RCA n s-video output?

Basically you don't! - they run at entirely different frequencies.

You can buy adaptors, that do a crude standards conversion, but I don't think their picture quality is anything to get excited about?.

No, if you want to convert with any degree of video fidelity it needs to be processed relatively heavily. Most capture devices that do that kind of conversion convert it to a digital image and then back to an analog one because a little bit of digital trickery will clean up the image quiet a bit. You really need to look at the specs on your LCD monitor as there's a slim chance it may be compatible with TV frequencies. You still need to decode the NTSC signal from the RCA plug and feed the monitor the RGB and H and V signals. This is no easy task.

Hi,

S-video, or composite video only would both require extensive processing in order to seperate the R,G, and B parts.

If your DVD player happens to have a SCART, then that *should* have the lines for R,G and B seperately, as well as the composite signal for horizontal and vertical sync. It'll be very tricky though, as others pointed out, the frequency of scan will be different. The horizontal/vertical scan frequency would probably require some tweaking, that is, use the sync from the scart as a reference and generate a horizontal scan frequency thats in sync but higher in frequency. It gets complicated very quickly. I seem to remember phillips doing a 'one chip' solution for conversion, don't know if they do samples, I've got a 7" TFT that has a phillips PAL/NTSC decoder on board, generates all the timing necessary (for the syncs...you just connect the RGB lines straight trough for VGA) , part number is obscured though, sorry. Unless you really want to build something and are well versed in electronics, probably not advisable to prototype.

Blueteeth.

Ps. Can't say I know much about video, just the basic's, like running a small (controllerless) TFT from VGA, and very basic PAL/NTSC knowledge, so don't take this seriously.

hexin said:
I have a lcd monitor with only VGA input. How do I connect it with my DVD player with RCA n s-video output?

Would this lcd monitor be the same one you normally use for
your computer or is it you have a spare one that you wish
to convert so that it accepts RGB signals ?

jus buy an inexpensive external tv tuner which contains input for dvd player.this worked for me n tv tuner was around 20 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back