Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusion about IC sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrys

I bought an electronics kitset and the IC socket was placed in foam. I didn't think IC sockets were antistatic so why would it need to be placed in foam?

So what could be the reason why? We usually place ICs in foams to prevent potentially dangerous static electricity from building up between their pins. Especially important for CMOS chips. Consider the foam as a part of the kit and use it for storing your ICs. Foaming Sockets to my mind doesn't make much sense.

hi harry,
The foam on the socket pins is used to limit pin bending/breaking in transit.

Quite often the post man, on delivery, will ram the 'jiffy bag' thru the letter box and damage the socket pins.

If its anti-static conductive [black] foam, don't throw it away, its useful for protecting other devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back