Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused about Vusb on PIC18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm trying to setup the USB module on a PIC18F14k50 and the Vusb pin is confusing me. Throughout the reference sheet, it mentions repeatedly that Vusb must be connected to a supply voltage (~3.2V). But all of the example circuit figures just show a bypass capacitor on Vusb connected to ground. I understand the need for a bypass cap, but what happened to connecting Vusb to a supply voltage?

Also, I've read that a electrolytic cap would be a no-no in this case. Why is that so? I don't have any ceramics in the 0.22 - 0.47uF range, but I do have a 0.47uF electrolytic, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

The PIC18F14k50 has a built in regulator, so just the cap is needed. Don't tell anyone, but I used a .47uf electrolytic for the very same reason, and it works for hobby/proto use. So long term, you would want the low ESR that a ceramic cap would afford, or at least that's my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back