Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer/TV parts to make HV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi everyone

Last week i found an old TV and Computer which i scavanged random parts from which looked usefull to make High Voltage for use in a Jacobs Ladder.

Attached are some photos of the scavanged parts, can anyone please say what they are and if there are usefull to make high voltage. Taking it a step furthere has anyone got any ideas on how to use it in a schematic?

Thanks

(P.S Sorry for the bad quality photos, all i had was my mobile camera to use)

Attachments

• Photo-0299.jpg
    Photo-0299.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo-0300.jpg
    Photo-0300.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Photo-0301.jpg
    Photo-0301.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo-0302.jpg
    Photo-0302.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Photo-0303.jpg
    Photo-0303.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 152
The thing you have in your hand in the 3rd pic is the thing you want. It's called a "Flyback transformer", Just google "Flyback transformer driver" or something, you will get alot of results!

Have fun, but be safe. While these things cant really kill you, they can give you nasty RF burns! SOmetimes they have a HV cap built in aswell, one caught me by suprise once!

Flyback transformers are good for a mini Jacobs ladder - high voltage, extremely low current.

Don't forget to turn off the light when testing the "sparky".

Last edited:
I once made a biger jacobs lader with a ignition coil driven with nearly 1kW. You can imagine it couldn't stand up to that much abuse for long. It was driven by a IGBT H bridge running off 300V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back