Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer speaker sub woofer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

Edit:
OK I ended up just taking the speaker off the controls and using that as a remote volume type setup...bass sounds great.

Although this is working now I would still like to hear any other setup ideas anyone might have on this project.

----------------------

About a month ago I swapped out my Altec Lansing ACS340 computer speakers for a 120W amp and a pair of unpowered studio monitors.

Along with the swap I lost all my bass as these studio monitors don't have a sub woofer.

At first I was looking for a cheap stand along powered sub woofer to use with the 120W amp but they are around 100$ and up.

Now I'm wondering if I could use my old PC speaker setup without the small speakers that normally pull out most of the sound...basically I just want to run these PC speakers with just the sub woofer box plugged in.

As of now the woofer unit has a power cord and a 1/8" stereo plug that goes to the computer sound card. The left main speaker is usually plugged into the port on the bass speaker which controls volume and power.

I tried hooking it to the computer without the left main speaker and the sub woofer powered up but wont make any noise.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to convert this sub woofer into a stand along powered sub woofer?

I'm starting to think the easiest way would just be to open the small left speaker and put the guts (chip, volume POT, power switch) into a small project box so there's no speaker with it to make noise yet it will still work.

Last edited:
Maybe you can take out all the electronics out of the speakers, loose the speakers, then put the guts into a separate box or the sub itself. Then swap the 3.5mm jack with a RCA plug. Some RCA plugs come with a nut, so you can screw it into a drilled hole. I guess you can do the same with the volume pot, because most pots have nuts. Then you can put a nice knob on the pot.

Most active subs have a low-power RCA plug input, and most new audio amplifiers come with that output. I'd go for RCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back