Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer power pack - fans won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

So I have an Antec SP-450 450W power supply for a desktop PC.
From day one the power would work fine but it heats up a lot and none of the two fans turn on at any time. Antec said they should turn on only when it got hot but this sucker got too hot for me to hold onto when removing it from the PC case.

I tried getting in contact with Antec many times but their Customer Service is just horrible..... It came down to the warranty expiring so I'm stick with using a lower 300W unit for now.

Thing is I just picked up a new video card for my PC and it calls for at least 350W of power so I would like to get this other 450W unit working once again.

I don't know much about these power units and was just wondering what steps I should take to see if I could fix this supply.

Thanks,
Dave

Does the PSU still work? If not follow these steps

1) Unplug PSU From Everything in your computer, even the motherboard.
2) Connect a jumper from Green to Black and turn the powersupply on from the back
3) The fans should go on and you should also measure 5V and 12V on the main rails
4) If everything is OK connect main power connector to motherboard and turn computer on. If it boots connect everything else up one by one

If its the fans that are bothering you, disconnect them Internally and connect them up to the 12V Rail. This will have them on all the time when you start up the PSU.

Antec is a really good PSU company, Ive had a lot of luck with their PSU's.

Yea I will have a look though that page, thanks.

I just powered the fans to see if they were working properly and yes they are.
The output voltage must be close enough as I've ran it on my desktop for a day without any problems (not including the fans...)

I've heard that Antec did ship out a few of these supplies with their case but only a few had a problem....turns out it was something with the capacitors IIRC.

moody07747 said:
Yea I will have a look though that page, thanks.

I just powered the fans to see if they were working properly and yes they are.
The output voltage must be close enough as I've ran it on my desktop for a day without any problems (not including the fans...)

I've heard that Antec did ship out a few of these supplies with their case but only a few had a problem....turns out it was something with the capacitors IIRC.

Oh so you got the PSU with your case? That makes sense then. As a rule of thumb (when building your own computer), never (unless your pressed for cash) use the PSU that comes with the Case. They are usually made pretty crappy and dont last long.

yea normally when building any PC ill swap out the parts that come with teh case. New power pack, new quiet fans on rubber supports.

Anyways I just found the problem. I opened the power supply and found there was a connector that was only half snapped in.
I connected it, turned it on, and now one of the two fans is spinning while the PC is on. The other i guess will turn on when the temp. gets above a set temp.

I guess it was a Friday when this supply was built........

Overclocked said:
Oh so you got the PSU with your case? That makes sense then. As a rule of thumb (when building your own computer), never (unless your pressed for cash) use the PSU that comes with the Case. They are usually made pretty crappy and dont last long.

Normally I'd agree with that advice, but not in the situation where the PSU itself is supposedly specially designed and is itself one of the main selling points of the case. This is part of the reason it's inexcusable to see those cheap caps in so many Antecs.

I myself have an Antec Sonata case which I got three years back for my project studio, and couldn't be happier. The build quality is great, it has amenities like easily accessible and removable drive cages and backplane etc, and super-quiet cooling. Haven't had an unhappy day with the thing; I love it. But I'm not one of the unlucky ones. :)

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back