Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer/phone/audio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie 1

When using Skype, I wear a headset with two earpieces and a microphone. After a while it gets uncomfortable and would like to change the system. Looking at a tabletop landline phone of which I have a few leftovers, I would like to use the hand set with the mike and loudspeaker inside it in order to connect into the computer green (loudspeaker) and pink (mike) ports, essentially soldering TRS 3.5mm jacks to the wires coming out of the hand set. I have two concerns. (1) how to deal with a very likely impedance matching problem for the loudspeaker and mike and (2) is the computer able to put out enough milliwatts to drive the rather hefty loudspeaker (compared to the ear pieces) that is inside the hand set ?

Thank you for any suggestion and help,
Freddie1

Presuming that the table top phone is not an antique, (older than 30 years), the "speaker" in the hand set normally would be with an impedence >= 32Ω, and the PC should be able to drive it sufficiently.
However, the mike will be a moving coil dynamic type and its output will be insufficient as a workable input to the PC.
The PC mic inputs are meant for "condensor" mics, and they have a DC feed (5 Volts) thru' a 4.7K resistor.

I'd suggest using a pair of ampli speakers and a PC mike. Unless, of course, you don't want to use speakers.

Ramesh

If the handset mic is a moving coil type it could probably be simply replaced by a 'condenser' type (as used in your headset and available cheaply).

I bough the RTX Dual Phone from these guys **broken link removed** and it's really cool.

Too bad that the links have gone nowhere for a while.

I didn't even need any instructions to set it up.

Looks like thy moved distribution to Amazon.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, I used the link you had sugested and it went smoothly. I found the POP phone on the same page and it appears to be suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back