Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am using HP pavilion 8802 with Windows ME on it. I want to set a password to protect others from using it. (Computer should not be on with out a PW)

Can any one give me the idea.

Thank you very much.

Mahinda

BIOS boot passwd

that sounds best

but, some motherboards have an intrusion alarm, so the cmoputer locks up if the case is opeoned (it is usually just two pins on the mothboard, that you are supposed to connect to a microswitch or similar) which usually have a jumper over them. I don't know about all of them, but I know on my motherboard, if the jumper is removed (simulating the case being opened) the computer won't boot up. you could connect these pins to a key switch, or a kepad device...

advantage over bois pasword? probably none, but what the hey.

Tim

BIOS

How do I get in to bios.
I am using "HP pavilion 8802: win Me on it.

I remembered need to press 'Del" key when booting some comp
What keys need to press on mine.

Thanks.
Mahinda

different comps use differnt keys. I dont know what key mine is I just knwo it is exiter F2 or DEL so it press both at boot

try F1 or F2 or DEL they are the common ones

Re: BIOS

mahinda jayasingh said:
How do I get in to bios.
I am using "HP pavilion 8802: win Me on it.

I remembered need to press 'Del" key when booting some comp
What keys need to press on mine.

Thanks.
Mahinda

Should be explained in the manual, assuming you didn't throw it out yet

You need to hold down the DEL key while your computer is in booting stage ( not when the Win logo appears ) .

ricky, it very much matters which type of motherboard he has as to which key to press (not hold)

ESC, F1, F2, F10(compaq), F12, DEL

those are the only ones i've ever seen

david

pls press del when u r starting u'r windows, after that u will find bootup paasword, with that u'r problem will be solved( i think).

Bios Passwords Of desktop COmputers Are Pretty useless, Just Open The Case And Take The CMOS Battery Out. If The Case Has a Lock On it, Just Cut It with a portable Dremal :cry: lol

equally just remove the HD plug it into anothe rcomp and remove the date.
Boot of a linux floppy, access the registry and reset syskey to access NT/2k/XP windows systems with an adminstrator passwd

THere is no security that cannot be bypassed with enough time and tools.

I think he is after something to stop the casual user from booting and messing with stuff

If the OP is looking to slow or stop the casual user, and is running Win9x or WinME, the is a fairly easy way to do this. Of course, as has already been posted, there is no foolproof method of protecting the files on any PC if the invader is serious about getting in. Between software tools to crack passwords and hardware tools to remove drives, it's pretty hard to stop someone who really wants in!

That having been said, **broken link removed** is an excellent way of adding and enforcing password security on a PC using a version of the Windows operating system that is otherwise wide open to the unauthorized user.

This utility, when installed and active, will allow the system to boot to the desktop only if the user name entered is on the approved list of users, and if the proper password associated that user name is entered. Pressing the Escape key, entering an unauthorized user name, or inputting a wrong password will all return the user to the login screen.

I have long used this utility for teachers in classroom settings who have the need to keep their students out of the teacher workstation. It worked nicely on Win95, and still works nicely all the way through WinME. Of course, the more secure versions of Windows -- WinNT, Win2K, and WinXp don't really need anything like this if their security options are properly set.

password

I want to protect my PC from kids. That is the reason to set the PW.
When booting the PC, I can go to BIOS by pressing F1 (not Del key ).

Any further ideas.

my favorite kid proofing was taking the keyboard / mouse off after shutting down.

or take the power cord and hide it

there are programs like Watchdog that will set passwords as well as internet restrictions and times that kids are allowed to be on computer, as well as constricting their time to whatever you set :)

(great for kids earning computer time)

I don't think a kid would know how to use a dremel, remove a padlock, and know what the CMOS battery looks like. Most BIOS chips have eeprom memory. You can take out the battery and it will be fine.

My mother board requires the reseting of a jumper on the board. This is pretty hard to find...

What exactly are you trying to hide from your kids?....jk... :lol:

Re: password

mahinda jayasingh said:
I want to protect my PC from kids. That is the reason to set the PW.
When booting the PC, I can go to BIOS by pressing F1 (not Del key ).

Any further ideas.

As I said, download and install Robert's Shutdown Security! It is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish... :)

lol ya i dont think kids would know how to use a dremal, im only 15 years old. I remember when I was 12 my dad locked his computer up with a Power On Password. Through Trial and Error I Finnaly Broke In. I Know Some 11 Years Kids That Are Smarter Then There Parents On Computers(My Cosins). Most Hackers Today Fall In The Ages From 13 to 19, That Should Give You Something To Think About 8) :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back