Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer d-connector power directors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, you don't make any sense?.

The power supply outputs on a PC don't normally cause any problems (apart from the PSU actually failing). However, CD-ROM drives are very prone to failure, and Maxtor drives seem to have a life span of only around 18 months or so.

I've never seen (or heard of) the controllers been taken out by drive failure.

I have two Maxtor hard drives in this PC, and both are over 36 months.

This PC used over 18 hours a day.

I think all hard drives have about same reliability, and this is all about preference/ brand loyalty.

My other PC, 6yr old 300 mhz pentium, also runs a Maxtor, and is used solely as cnc PC.

Sure pws's supply plenty of power these days. It's how the power flows that bothers me.

Any ideas?

What do you mean by that? There is nothing new in terms of how power distribution from psu is delivered to individual requirements.

You must know something that I don't.
I've had CD failures and even mem chip failures and peripheral failures due to lightning strike, and every time, only the damaged part had to be replaced. So your trying to let us in on something that is unnecessary.

In anycase, have fun.

There's a sucker born every minute.

hjl4 said:
I have two Maxtor hard drives in this PC, and both are over 36 months.

This PC used over 18 hours a day.

I think all hard drives have about same reliability, and this is all about preference/ brand loyalty.

To some extent perhaps so?, but almost all the faulty drives I've ever changed have been Quatum and Maxtor (actually the same company), and Maxtor drives are fitted in various PVR's in the UK - their usual lifespan is between 14 and 18 months!. Last year I probably saw 20 or so faulty Maxtors, varying from 6 months to 2 years old.

I also know a guy who runs Internet servers, he bought a large number of Maxtor drives, and he was very pleased with the performance from them - but reliability wise they were a disaster, they all had to be replaced within 12 months. Unfortunately this entailed a fairly long drive for him each time, so he wasn't pleased - and he'll never buy Maxtor again.

Looking at the internals of these hard drives, they are all similar.

If Maxtor bad, Then what is "BEST", so I can upgrade. My little cnc controller can't break down just yet.

Looking forward to seeing cost differences.
I respect your opininion Nigel, which is why I am now concerned for my PC's.

Thanks in advance.

hjl4 said:
Looking at the internals of these hard drives, they are all similar.

If Maxtor bad, Then what is "BEST", so I can upgrade. My little cnc controller can't break down just yet.

Looking forward to seeing cost differences.
I respect your opininion Nigel, which is why I am now concerned for my PC's.

'Best' is a very subjective term! - as with anything else, you will get different opinions from different people.

In recent years I've used various drives, including Seagate, Western Digital, and Samsung - I've yet to see one fail. The machine I'm using at this very moment has a Samsung 160Gb drive fitted and an 80Gb Seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back