Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Control -- Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_leo

Hello,

I'm attempting a project, and think Im in need of some direction. The basics of my project is to control mutliple electonic devices from my computer. Now im not to sure how to approach all of my goals so I have come here seeking some guidance.
I guess a good place to start is some "simple" functions. The first goal I have is to be able to control a 110vac motor from my computer. Im afraid this might be easier said then done.

Not to sure where to start but ill give my thoughts, and if someone could comment on it that would be much appreaciated.

I figure i would write an app (.NET or vb6) that would communicate to a micro-contoller throught the serial port. Then the micor-controller depending on the data would then either decide to (motor110vac) turn-clockwise/stop/turn-couter-clockwise

So i guess my basci idea for this to work is...
1. computer app communication over the serial port
2. Micro-Controler
3. Some-sort of relay switch(controlled by the mciro-controller)
4. The 110vac motor using a power supply which is regulated by the relay.

I know this is a really high-overview right now, but anysuggestions would be much appreciated, and any help would be awesome.

Also if anyone knows any article/books/site that would point me in the right direction that would be great.

Just a little insight. After i get the motor working via the computer control, I want to add in additional functionality. Ie. a temperature senor so that when the Temp reaches a userDefined temp(trought the app) the motor will turn one way, and when it drops below a certain temp the motor turns the other way.

Thanks In Advance

--Joe

Have a look at my RS232 PIC tutorials, they do most of what you want, they would just need hardware and software 'tweaking' slightly to do exactly what you require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back