Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer circuit simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve460

Hello, I am new here, so I hope this is the right place for this question. I am looking for computer software that can simulate a simple inductance capacitance resistance circuit. Something I can set up, plug in the numbers and run a simulation of the circuit.

I have found circuit board design software, but the design of the device I am making is very simple, so I don't need to design a board or anything, just run a circuit simulation only.
Three inductors, one capacitor, wire resistance, all in series, a simple resonate circuit.
I have all the numbers, I just need to see it operate on the computer as a starting place before I connect the parts for actual testing.

I hope to save some time.

Thanks,
Steve

Circuit simulation

I looked at the information and the LTSpice simulation seems to be what I need. The videos make it look easy, but I know it will take a while to figure it all out, but the good news is that what I am doing is simple and not complex at all, just many combinations of the same circuit to test out over and over.
I am still in the paper and pencil era when it comes to circuits, as this is how it was done way back when. I will check out the Spice user group also.
The way it treats inductors is just what I need.
Plus the simulation is able to run through many combinations of inductors and simulate the results. A time saver for sure. With so many circuit simulation and design programs out there it is hard to decide which one is the best for what I am doing. This one seems to do what I need, thanks.

Steve

I don´t like LTspice beacuse of the graphical interface it has, it takes a while to get used to it.
I personally use Micro-cap from https://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm , the demo version has a pretty good selection of components, and the GUI is just simpler to use. Also video tutorials and examples are a plus.

Hi Steve

Should work fine for what you need to do.

It does take alittle time to get used to the GUI
though.

Have fun and good luck..

eT

why does everyone talk about LTSpice on here? In none of my coursework has anyone ever mentioned this.
whats wrong with the Free Orcad Student Version from electronics-lab.com, or the Free Pspice from www.cadence.com ??
what are the differences between all these?

I think, the main advantage of LTSpice is a large amount of opamp macro models (however, only Linear-tech models!) which are provided with the program.
Other free program versions (evaluation versions) contain some samples only.
However, I don`t like LTSpice because its schematic entry feature is not very handy (for my opinion). But - of course - it is a matter of getting used to it.
I strongly prefer PSpice (even the evaluation version which is provided for free) because it very easy to use and offers many features for graphical presentation of the results.

Last edited:
Hi

Try LTSpice

https://www.linear.com/designtools/software/#LTspice

Plenty of models...and its free :)

There is a yahoo LTSpice group if you need help.

I down loaded LTSpice and am checking it out and doing some practice (playing around) with it.
I looked at some you tube videos using LTSpice and it don't seem too difficult to use. The good news is that I am only making one simple circuit for test, so I am not using all the program functions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
LTSpice is far superior to other Spice-based simulation because MIke Englhart (sp?) that works for Linear has solved 99% of the convergence problems that plague the others. He has also greatly improved the feature set of the simulator (things like parametric variables, Resistance as a function of node voltage, Behavioral Voltage and Current sources, waveform arithmetic, etc, etc.

I have been using various incarnations of Berkley Spice and its follow-ons for 40 years, and LTSpice is head and shoulders above the others...

Nice free simulation program

https://www.circuitlab.com/

I am looking at circuitlab now and it seems to work well for what I am doing. It works for simple circuits and works with AC, which is what I need. Works great, give a try and see. Simple circuits are easy to make. There are some limits, but for free it does ok if you just need a quik simple circuit to test and run. If I can use it, anyone can.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been looking for a member on this forum offering LTS tutorial.
Are there any members you know aside from you sir?

m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back