Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer 4 pin mollex 5v 12v - can I use the same ground ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a SAtaIdeUsb adapter and the power supply came with only 3 pins instead of 4. One of the 2 blacks from the middle is missing and I can't detect 12v on it but it works when using the other ground obvisouly.

I'm just wondering if it'll work with my hard drive, is it a general rule that only one ground works ? Can i jump them togetter because red wire is 5v and 12v is yellow.

I can't just test the hard drive, I need it to work the very first time cause I'm unbrincking it.

example of the plug im talking about

View attachment 68653

If you have a meter you can cheak to see if the center two pins are connected together on your hard drive.

The 2 wires are seperate as if you have a heavy current draw on one of the lines then the groiund will lift voltage wise.
If you only have this device connected then joining both centre pins should be ok, might even work without joining them, as mentioned bell out the centre 2 pins on the drive, if they are connected then it should work as is.

On all of the computer psu's that I have opened up all of the grounds are soldered to one large pad on the circuit board so it shouldn't matter to use one wire to connect to both grounds

On all of the computer psu's that I have opened up all of the grounds are soldered to one large pad on the circuit board so it shouldn't matter to use one wire to connect to both grounds

Yes we know that they are connected at the power supply.
The question is whether or not they are connected together on the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back