Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Composite video to Image conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilton13

hi.

I would like to know how I can convert a composite video signal to frames of rgb images. I went through a couple of text book, I know how the signal works but how do I convert it? the frame rate is not important, even a 3 fps would do.

I am planning to convert it and then store it in a static ram for other purposes.(like transmitting to a different chip.)

I hope it is possible, but when I looked at the signal, I understand the processor/controller/algorithm needs to be fast enough not to miss the sync pulses.

thanks!!

If you want to store the images in color, that's a complex task. You need a color demodulator to derive the three primary color signals from the composite signal. Then you combine those with the luminance (B&W) video signal to generate the three RGB signals. Then you sync an A/D converter with the video to generate digitized RGB video values. Then you put the digitized video in a file format that can be read by the computer as a picture.

All in all, unless you plan on devoting a great deal of time to learn about analog and digital circuit design ("went through a couple of text books" isn't going to do it), and to design and test the circuit, it makes much more sense to buy a video frame grabber card, which is made by several companies, for example http://www.pixelsmart.com/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back