Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component Signiture Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huttojb1

Hey All

I have a component signiture Analsist machine at work and when measuring a capacitor it displays a circle like signiture.

Depending on frequency it can turn into an oval shape. Although I have been explained on why the signiture is a circle like signiture, I don't fully believe it's the true explaination.

I have done research on the internet and it demonstrates how the signiture is a circle for capacitance but doesn't ever give a reason or explaination.

Can anyone here help.

Jason.

Are you sure that it is not just an oscilloscope connected in X Y display mode showing phase shift. As in the first line of pictures on this web page. This type of display is called a Lissajous pattern. A circle is produced when the phase shift is 90 degrees. With 50 Hz (Mains frequency) if you connect a capacitor and resistor in series and the capacitor has the same value of reactance as the value of the resistor then a circle is displayed with the Y axis showing the voltage across the resistor and the X axis showing the voltage across the capacitor. (0.1 uF and a 33K resistor will do this at 50 Hz)

Les.

Have a look at this link.

**broken link removed**

This isn't the tool I have but it shows an example of the signitures

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back