Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complimentary Subscription to Design World? Don’t

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I just got this email from ETO
It starts out:

Complimentary Subscription to Design World
Good Morning:
As a valued member of Electro-Tech-Online.com we are extending an invitation for a complimentary subscription to Design World magazine.

Do NOT do this. I subscribed to this and a few other free trade magazines years ago. They will call you at random times wanting to “Update your information”. Sometimes they ask your eye color among other questions. I got as many as 3 calls from them in one day. They never try to sell anything. Between them and sales calls, I canceled my land line.

I already get e-mails from them but I never subscribed. They talk about all kinds of engineering things that I am not interested in but not much electronics that I want.

i too had the same message . it is shown as if sent to someone else and then rerouted to me.
I neglected the so called offer.

What is your eye colour !

I would be expecially suspicious of such questions, and suggest that they are not answered.

:) dont you mean t'other way round.

There is the possibility that such questions as eye color do not originate with Design World. Years before the term, phishing was invented, there were telephone schemes to get personal information. They would typically start with a recognizable entity (e.g., Cleveland Clinic) and say they were doing a survey. The initial questions would be benign, but would soon become much more invasive, even perverted.

Since this discussion is on a Design World site, maybe a representative of that company can explain the eye-color question. In the meantime, I would give Design World the benefit of the doubt for such a bizarre question and assume it was phishing by some other entity.

John

I frequently get phone calls from someone sounding like from the other side of earth (huge delays), an extremely strong Indian or Pakistani accent with many other people talking in the background. The person claims to be from Microsoft. I hang up.
Usually these phone calls are from salesmen in Pakistan trying to sell "Duck cleaning". I tell them quack, quack my ducks are clean enough.

we get emails
as if reserve bank etc
lotteries
what not
finally a guy called me to tell there are some insurance claims not taken and queried 'why you did not claim?". i had to tell him better you take and use it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back