Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complex Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

Hello,

I have got some doubts over here.
Why is the following answer 1 and -1?
lim x+j0 / x-j0 = 1
x->1,y=0

lim 0+jy/0-jy = -1
x->0,y=0

I'm confused here....
Any gd website that i can read on for understanding of complex function, complex integration , laplace transform
Pls advise.
Thanks.

shermaine said:
Hello,

I have got some doubts over here.
Why is the following answer 1 and -1?
lim x+j0 / x-j0 = 1
x->1,y=0

lim 0+jy/0-jy = -1
x->0,y=0

I'm confused here....
Any gd website that i can read on for understanding of complex function, complex integration , laplace transform
Pls advise.

The first one is trivial. j0 = 0 so lim(x->1) of (x+0/x-0) = 1. Just plug in x=1. (1+0)/(1-0) = 1

The second one you have lim(x->0) of jy/-jy and jy cancel leaving lim(x->0) of 1/-1 which equals -1

Thanks.

shermaine said:
it should be

lim x+j0/x-j0 =1
x-->0,y=0

lim
x=0,y-->0 0+jy/0-jy =-1

May i know what is it mean by x=0,y-->0 ?

x=0,y-->0 means that x is equal to zero and y is approaching zero.

In your examples, it is trivial since lim (x+j0)/(x-j0) =1 for all x and lim
x=0,y-->0 (0+jy)/(0-jy) =-1 for all y. Note that the brackets are necessary.

In general, (a + jb)/(x + jy) = {(a + jb) (x - jy)}/(x^2 + y^2) this is called rationalising the denominator.

I'll leave it to you to do the multiplication of the two complex terms.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back