Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete Idiot!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DENBOY

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and have some questions regards wiring leds,
but first I have just made up a lead to connect my lcd tv to a 12 volt supply in my motor home but got it wrong (+ to - - to +) hence the title of this thread. The tv will now not work, i have had the back off and can't see any fuses or resets, have i wrecked it or what? and is it worth taking it to a repair shop or is it a skip job? any advice please.
thanks dennis

Did you take AC cord and connect it directly to the battery?

Try connecting the AC cord up and seeing if that works. If not, good luck :)

You would think it would have some kind of internal protection? Diode maybe? I am not sure, just think somethings have a diode for protection.

I don't think the manufacturer of the TV would spend money on an "idiot diode" because this problem of backwards polarity would hardly ever happen.

The repair of the blown up circuit by a technician might cost more than a new TV.

The chances are it's just the power supply that's ruined but it still is hard to repair. You'll need to replace all the semiconductors and polarised capacitors.

I don't think the manufacturer of the TV would spend money on an "idiot diode" because this problem of backwards polarity would hardly ever happen.

I agree, it's NOT designed to be connected to an external 12V source, only it's currect power supply - so it probably doesn't have any reverse polarity protection.

Maybe the input has one of those little SMT fuses that does not really look like a fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back