Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete beginner, where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridge Freezer

Hi,
I am a complete beginner when it comes to electronics. I am keen to start learning, but I also have a little project in mind, so I would like to learn "on the job" so to speak.

The project (if you could even call it that), is to build a device that will sit in a fridge or freezer and, if it hits a certain temperature, will sound an alarm.

There are such products on the market, but they all seem to have big flaws (the need to run cables to the outside of the fridge, very quiet alarms etc) - so I fancy a crack myself.

Just wondered if anybody could please advise how I can best get up and running, and start getting my hands dirty. Should I just buy a copy of "Electronics for Dummies" and a soldering iron?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks,
FF

Last edited:
I would recommend researching ohms law, that is the foundation of all electronics no matter how complicated. Do some research into what would be needed for your freezer alarm based on what you want it to do (does it take batteries, if so how long will it last, etc.) You should also look into what part would be best to use in this case and what kind of circuit is best. Everyone on this site is very helpful and will help you if you have any questions about specifics.

If you have internet you don't have to buy books, the internet is a very easy way of learning pretty much whatever you want without paying more than your monthly payment.

I learned all I know here, buy components here, it's a dream really for someone like me.

Start with theory(ohm's law, basic components, what they do, names etc.) then find a circuit simulation software, not sure if there are any free ones, I'm sure there are, or skip the software and buy some components and a breadboard.

Anything you don't understand will be explained with a little google search, or if you have a more "isolated" problem internet forums such as this one are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back