Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

complement for 4021 8 to 1 parallel to serial register

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

Long ago, in the late 80s in magazine called Radio Electronics it had an article about building a joystick adapter to play NES controller on a PC gameport or Atari system. NES controller uses 4021 to encode all 8 buttons/directions to one serial line. The article had 2 ICs, one for providing timing to drive the NES controller and the serial to parallel decoder, and one with serial in/parallel out decoder.

Searching for radio electronics ninja adapter isn't getting me any result, it keeps getting me TMNT stuff instead! None of the local libraries I've checked has any old magazines in archive or keep electronic or microfilm archive.

I also tried searching for complement to 4021 and aren't getting anywhere either :/ So I am wondering if anyone knows what the complement is or if they have Radio Electronic magazine in the late 80s to look for NinJa section and scan in the schematic and part list?

I wanted to use the dogbone style NES controller but I don't want to hack (and ruin) the controller, I would rather build an adapter so I can use it and still be able to use the same controller on NES.

hi,
A 4021 is a 8 Bit Static shift register, parallel to serial.
A modern equiv is the HEF4021B

E

Attachments

• HEF4021B.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 195
By complement I assume that you want an 8 bit serial in to parallel out shift register. I Gooled "4000 series serial in parallel out shift register" and found the CD4094. You could also use a CD4015.

Les.

That archive seems to be missing a few issues but I did look elsewhere and found americanradiohistory.com

After spending some time with the site, I finally found the issue. My memory was faulty, it was in Popular Electronics, not Radio Electronics. December 1993 issue to be exact. Page 34 it uses 74595 shift register to decode the serial data from the NES controller.

That archive seems to be missing a few issues but I did look elsewhere and found americanradiohistory.com After spending some time with the site, I finally found the issue. My memory was faulty, it was in Popular Electronics, not Radio Electronics. December 1993 issue to be exact. Page 34 it uses 74595 shift register to decode the serial data from the NES controller.
Could you post a link to the issue?

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back