Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compilers for LINUX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently the Indian Magazine "Linux For You" (LFY)has published a software CD for scientific and micro controller applications on Linux.

please see www.electronicsforu.com and search for linux for you, old issues.
perhaps this very mag night be on sale in Karachi even.

3v0 said:
Do yeu mean cross compiler and if so for what chip(s)?
Yes, exactly! For PC programming, Linux comes with EVERYTHING, or you can easily (and for free) get it. Linux is great for programming and web dev stuff.

But for microcontrollers it's not so easy. I'm a Linux guy (Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora, Sabayon, PCLinuxOS, etc.), but I run a Windoze box for MCU programming because doing it in Linux is such an uphill slog. Oh, it can be done, but it's much more work than in Windoze. Everything is a chore, and lots of the good tools just aren't available.

Couldn't get MPLAB to work with Wine. Didn't want to do in a crashy virtual machine. So this box dual boots, with Windoze as default.

Last edited:
I would like to say thx for all three of you Specially futz as he clear the view so i will not wast more time,instead i will arrange a different PC rather low in configuration to do C++ and Assembly and i am very happy to find some one who uses LINUX besides me..Thx again to all of you

IQBALSOUND said:
instead i will arrange a different PC rather low in configuration to do C++ and Assembly[/B]
Ya, you don't need a big machine to do programming. I ran an old Celeron junker as a programming box for a long time. Good enough. Recently replaced it with a speed demon, but it wasn't necessary - just nice to use. :D

I use Linux too and I also have a Winblows machine for MPLAB.

To Futz and O.P.:

Are you aware of Piklab? http://piklab.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
Its constantly growing.

Offtopic:
I am sorry but not sorry. **broken link removed**
The quote below from the link above just sickens the living hell out of me. When will this planet ever mature!

MPLAB C30 Student Edition

The MPLAB C30 C Compiler Student Edition is free! It is full-featured for the first 60 days. After 60 days only optimization level 1 can be enabled in the compiler. The compiler will continue to function after 60 days, but code size may increase

There are levels and levels can be revoked? I guess the electronic layout intent and core IC's have become insignificant in engineering these days. Its all about the Compiler. The compiler should have never risen about the level of wire insulation. But now a days it stands on a pedestal over looking the all mighty electromotive force.

Last edited:
donniedj said:
Are you aware of Piklab? http://piklab.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
Its constantly growing.
I've heard of it, but I never got around to trying it. I guess I should. This weekend for sure :D
EDIT: Ooooohhhh!! That looks like it might be good! Too busy right now, but later for sure I'll test it out.

There are levels and levels can be revoked? I guess the electronic layout intent and core IC's have become insignificant in engineering these days. Its all about the Compiler. The compiler should have never risen about the level of wire insulation. But now a days it stands on a pedestal over looking the all mighty electromotive force.
I don't understand the rant?

Looks like PikLab is going to be in Hardy Heron - the new version of Ubuntu that's being released in April. Think I'll just wait till then. I don't feel like compiling it from source. Can't find (so far) a deb for it. I could make one with alien, but that often has its own problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back