Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

compass sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

hi there!

is there any easy way of constructing a reliable compass sensor. i need 5 degree steps to be recognised. as i'm putting on my offroad robot it must tolerate bumps and hills. and also i dont want to put in on a a 1 foot pole over my robot(as some sensors require).

I've wanted to build a digital compass myself, but cheap and reliable solutions elude me.

There are sensors which only output 8 cardinal directions and can't be calibrated thus basically useless. And there are sensors/modules like the Hitachi HM755B which have useful outputs which are somewhat expensive.

I got a $10 digital compass with LCD display, with a calibration mode, from Harbor Freight Tools. It's got two 2-wire devices about 3/4" long and maybe 0.1" diameter. They're mounted perpendicular, one is perpendicular to the main board and they had to cast the case specifically to accomodate it.

I'm assuming it's a type of inductor, but otherwise I don't get it. If ONLY that stupid module had a serial port output.

This has nothing to do with the o/p s origional question ..But reading oznogs reply somehow gave me an idea that using a old 3 1/4 " harddrive motor as a Gyro would work great ..
They spin really fast..
They are really small..
all you would need is a little more mass connected to the platten..and some way to measure the distance differential..but the heart of the Gyro is the motor anyway..
:lol: Just thought i would add this ..

Eh Willi,
To add to yours mate I'm hopefully soon to get 100 3x3x3 mm cube neo magnets which I want too use with hall a effect sensor and the idea did occur to me about mounting them in an a array to be a compass. One type of hall effect sensor I did get can sense direction and as hall effect sensors are attracted by the density of flux a stronger magnet at north can act as a centre point so it looks like a good project to tackle :twisted:

Cheers Bryan :D

ˇwell i was really looking for something cheaper than $10. like 5 or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back