Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of two IR LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broz

I've been building DIY laser tag systems for a while and I'm just looking at what IR LEDs are available. I found one that I thought would be a monster of transmission, and it sure costs alot, but then I see it's typical radiant intensity is not much more than the TSAL 6100. The TSAL 6100 puts out 130 mW/sr at 100 mA and can be surged up to 1000 mW/sr at 1A. For a laser tag situation, surging is not much of an issue because of the short bursts. Here's the TSAL 6100 datasheet:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/08/tsal6100.pdf

Then I find what I think is a monster of an IR LED and when I'm reading the datasheet I see it's typical radiant intensity is 200 mW/sr at 1 A and I don't see it's peak radiant intensity though it can be surged up to 2A. Here is the datasheet:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/08/00043046_0.pdf

The difference in price is significant, but the difference in radiant intensity is not (compared to the price and current draw of the TSAL 6100), so I'm guessing I'm missing something about this IR LED that's important. I know the receiver does most of the hard work in any IR system, but I wanted to play around with some high power LEDs. I thought this one would be a monster considering its surge current and price. What am I missing? Is it that it puts out 200 mW/sr continuously at 1A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back