1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

comparison between ceramic/chip antenna and PCB antennas

Discussion in 'Radio and Communications' started by pragash sangaran, Jan 2, 2016.

1. pragash sangaran

pragash sangaran New Member

hi friends,
    i would like to know the comparison between ceramic/chip antenna and PCB antennas in terms of RF performance (gain, efficiency, range and etc). This antennas are for Wireless technologies such as WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G and Zigbee. which antenna is better and why?

2. Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

words are not enough to describe differences except ceramic is very low loss tangent dielectric.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pragash sangaran

pragash sangaran New Member

even PCB antenna loss tangent is low (0.01) so there wont be significant performance difference due to this i believe.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

It depends on PCB dielectric greatly. If you said Rogers or Polyamide FR4 then I would not have made the valid comment.

Ceramic is also stiffer and etching and laser trimming is more precise for improved RL at resonance.

I have had experiences in GETEK and ceramic RF hybrids to support this. GETEK is OK but often needs manual foil trim for high Q.

Perhaps the biggest variable in PCB dielectrics is the >10% tolerance on dielectric constant.