Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparator vs opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
please explain me the difference between a comparator and an opamp based on the examples given below...

1) if my v+ is 12v and my v- is 0v, input + is 3v and input- is 2 volt, what would be the output of the comparator and of opamp??
2)if input+ is 2 volt and input- is 3v , what would be the output of camparator and of opamp??

Hi,
An op amp without any feedback is a comparator. It depends on the specification of the op amp, if it's rated rail to rail, the output high can be as high as the +ve supply voltage.

The formula is Vout=A(Vnoninverting - Vinverting)

A is the gain.

An op amp is expected to reproduce the input with a gain dependent on the feedback components. An op amp always has a negative feedback. A positive feedback would make it behave as an oscillator.

The op amp has a certain voltage compliance range that is usually 0.5v less than the +Vcc and 0.5v more than the -Vcc reference. If the result of the above formula is beyond this range, the amplitude of the output is limited to this signal. This is how a comparator works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back