Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparator lm339 - convert anolog to square wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

redepoch7

I have a toy keyboard that I want to run into a lm339 comparator to turn the signal into a square wave.

I tried it and it didn't really work. You could hear some resemblance of a square wave but It was pretty quiet.

My question is...

Is this even possible?
Should I do something else to the 339 to get a better output?
Does it hurt the lm339 to just run the keyboard out into it?

My end goal is to create an octave down by running the comparator output through some frequency division.

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

Did you have a 5K or 10K pull-up resistor between the output pin of the **broken link removed** and the positive supply?

Post your circuit.

As I said, read the data sheet I posted a link to. Look at the suggested circuit. NOTICE THAT THERE MUST BE PULL-UP RESISTOR added to the output pin!!!

The reference input at pin 5 should be biased at half the supply voltage with two resistors in series.
An LM393 has only two of the same comparators and is in an 8-pins case.

There should also be a decoupling capacitor too.

Please post a schematic using the correct symbol for a comparator, rather than a box which is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back