Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparator dead zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe G

i've been playing around with comparators lately learning how they work. but my question is, is there a way to make them have a dead zone instead of being either sourcing or sinking, i've looked for a while and can't figure out if it is possable.

You can have high or you can have low but there is no in the middle. :)

You can apply hysteresis to keep them from bouncing but I don't know of a tri state comparator. That does not mean one does not exist only that I am not familiar with it if it does.

Ron

i was working on a linefollowing bot but i wanted it to have frt wheel steering. i finished it on a breadboard. but i was trying to eleminate a relay. i didnt want it to zigzag,. but stay on the same direction untill the sensors changed it. and i tryed to figure out if there was a way to make a comparator do that :)

> is there a way to make them have a dead zone

It's called a window comparator, you make that with 2 comparators. It has 3 outputs : above window, below window, inside window.

> is there a way to make them have a dead zone

It's called a window comparator, you make that with 2 comparators. It has 3 outputs : above window, below window, inside window.

Yeah, but you still only have 2 states correct? Above or below are a state just like in the window is a state.

Ron

Joe G

I have make up a sketch of a voltage follower. But I have added a small grid of bjt's around it to make it possible for it's output impedance to become high.
I haven't been able to test it on a bread board, but if you're interested of testing the concept, I can draw it. But then you must agree to post a detailed report back on this forum.

i think ive figured out a way to do want to accomplish, but haven't been to the breadboard as of yet, if it works, i can finish construction and make a new post of my outcome :)

Hi Joe,

you might look at this design.

It's a 3 point floating comparator, used for a solar tracker.

Boncuk

Attachments

• 3-POINT-FLOATING-COMPARATOR.gif
    3-POINT-FLOATING-COMPARATOR.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 377
is the solartracker circuit for use w/ a controler? cause i'm not able to use them as of yet :(

The solar solar tracker is a stand alone circuit working without microprocessor. Just take a look at the OpAmps and the circuitry after them which control two motors via miniature relays (forward and reverse).

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back