Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compact heating element

Status
Not open for further replies.

cotillion

Hey guys,

I am new and have been searching these forums for a while, trying to get enough info to keep working on my project. Unfortunately, I am so lost on jargon and terminology that it is hopeless.

I am trying to figure out a way to create or find a small, thin heating element that can be powered by a battery. I would like for it to be capable of heating up to about 160 F.

Is this even possible? I would like to know my limits in how small I could get, battery size, rechargeability, battery duration and expense.

If this is too complicated a question, I understand. Just thought I'd see if anyone would know answers off hand.

Thanks so much

To define the battery requirements, you have to have an idea of how much heat is lost from the thermal environment surrounding the heater. For example, if you put your heater in very well insulated box (say small styrofoam beer cooler), it will only take a Watt or two to keep the inside of the cooler at 160degF. If you mount the same heater in open air with a strong wind blowing at 30degF, it may take almost a hundred Watts to keep it at 170degF...

In the steady state, Electrical Power in = Power carried away by the air...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back