Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Communication with Electrical Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroneA

Hello, again, the intern is back with more questions. I wanted and talk about communicating with engineering coworkers.

I realized that it's unusual and somewhat difficult for me to "talk business"... up until now I got all my information from reading and writing, and then (sometimes, lol) listening to the teacher. And with talking in interviews I'm actually ok because I've had plenty of practice. Still, sometimes I'm asked, "how is the project coming along?" and I my first instinct is to blurt out something non-committal or ambiguous... or just plain confusing and even I don't know what I'm trying to say.

I know that difficulty communicating is supposed to be normal for an engineer but I don't want to be like that. Any advice would be great!

Difficult to give good advice not knowing where you are located.
Also, you say you are in a small company, but how small? 5, 10, 20, 50 persons.
What is the business doing? In general terms. Discussing your employers business on a worldwide public forum is in my opinon bad form.
What is your part in the project? Are you responsible for all of it, or just a little part and you report to a more senior engineer?

So, lets try and be a bit more positive!

A day at the office...

Other Engineer - Hows the project going?
CroneA - Awfull. I am having a hell of a job to get the power supplies right, the things keep tripping out on overcurrent. Have you seen anything like that before?
OE - Yes, you are not using those ZXC123 s from the Wicky Wacky Electric Company are you?
CA - Yes, why?
OE - Pile of junk! I am surprised that you used them, what made you do that?
etc...

Tell the guy your problem(s), he may be ready and willing to give handy hints and helpfull advice.
On the other hand, he may be one of those bastards who likes to jerk you around a bit, just for fun.
You will never know until you ask.

Sometime later...
Second Engineer - Hows the project going?
CA - Getting better, I had a problem with the power supplies, but OE gave me some info and I am on top of the problem.
SE - Yes OE is a good guy, he has been in this business for a long time. He has seen most problems before.
etc...

And so it builds up, bit by bit.
You are new in the industry and probably know nobody, just give it time and it will happen.

JimB

I know that difficulty communicating is supposed to be normal for an engineer but I don't want to be like that. Any advice would be great!
really?

Just keep your answers simple. Take you time before answering, and always try to make complicated things simple, everybody will appreciate!

OE: - How the project is going?
You: -Fine. How about yourself?
OE: -Well ... [trying to say something else]
You: -Been here for a while?
OE: -Three years.
You: -Good. You know Mary? Is she ... available?
OE: -Yes, but ...
You: -Thanks. Owe you a beer, man. Have fun.

:)

I'm an enthusiastic electronics/mechanical/hydraulics engineer, I get on very well with people similar, I get on reasonably well with those that want to just do their job.
Problems only arise when I try to deal with glory seakers or clever dicks, dealing with these can be difficult, something that you get with age.
Going in the deep end technical wise scares a clever dick as they get worried you will be seen 'cleverer' than them, keeping it simple with someone enthusiastic will bore them, you need to get some idea on the peoples outlook you are working with.
As you may have seen I like a laugh, its a way of communicating your feelings - this power supply wouldnt power a wristwatch, or this thing would pull every amp we have.

I get the impression that you have the idea that engineers are a particular type of people - but there are as many different sorts as any other profession. I think the important thing is just to have conversations with people, doesn't matter what about - it's better than not talking at all. Once you get started it becomes easier to talk about the work stuff where you currently flounder. I know this is true because I have struggled with shyness all my life. It does get easier, I promise!

Engineers are a particular type of people, thats why they are what they are, except for a few that have had to become of the engineering kind, I know one such person who restores classic cars, doesnt like engineering so much but loves old cars.
I use that term loosely, not every engineer has one personality.
I only take things seriously when they need to be.

Ok point taken, but I meant more in the personality sense, not as in type of people who can't help but be engineers... I'm digging a hole for myself here, aren't I?

Anybody that watched the original Star Trek series learned the proper way for engineers to communicate from Scotty. :)

Last edited:
I occaisonally quote bones, 'its worse than that he's dead jim', which is famous even though he never said that.

We have at least a couple of resident scot engineers on this site, ghostman and little ghost.

Thats a shame, I liked those 2.
There is some truth in what they say, I'm carefull in what I post so as not to get a reply I dont like, but thats as much me as the forum, if they want to 'leave' then I spose thats what they have to do, personally I'd just back off and just read the odd post if I felt that way, I wonder why father and son feel the same.
What ghostman said however was mature and well worded.

I think those comments apply to all forums, as I think the change is in people not so much forums.

I didnt leave amateur radio, however I did sell my kit and I dont bother with it anymore due to a similar change in the environment, these days you dont make anything, just buy a 50 quid rig off the shelf and start talking.

it appears I'm still having some difficulties... but I'd rather not get into details, I just wanted to say that I read all of your comments and I will be thinking them over in the future. Hopefully this can just blow over soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back