Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Mode Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All
I have designned differential amplifiers using seperated op-amps and external resistors (in retrospect unfortunatley I should have used either instrumentation amplifiers or difference amplifiers with laser trimmed internal resistors). I am using 1% resistors and have noticed that the common mode is having an effect on the gain that I wish it changes i.e. changes depending on the input voltage. In the application space I am working the difference in voltage between inputs will be between 0.1-1V. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more suitable op-amp for this application, I am also going to try switching to 0.1% resistors to see how much of an effect that has but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Art

hi Art,
I use the AD623 IA, it works on a single supply.
Do you have a LTS sim or diagram of your differential amp.?
E

To approach the performance of integrated Instrumentation Amps, you would need to match resistors to better than 0.01%

1% resistors will give a worst-case common-mode gain of .02 for a differential gain of 1 amp.

This is the simulation of the PCB I have designned, the voltages that are mentioned match what I am after I have made the inputs sinusoidal just to see what kind of response I would get if there was a variation in voltages. I also test CM and there is an obvious effect from the resistors. I am just wondering if my choice of op amp was also poor? (I know now in the future I should just use an instrumentation amplifier or difference amplifier), so if the choice of op-amp was poor can anyone suggest a standard op-amp that I could use that would not be effect by common mode as much, I will be changing resistors to 0.1% or even less. Currently I am using the following op amp: STMicro MC33174. I also tried this with Texas Instrument TL074ACDR.

Attachments

• PCB_Board_4cells with butterworth filters.asc
    24.1 KB · Views: 151
  • importantGainCalculations.png
    importantGainCalculations.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 121
Hi All
I have designned differential amplifiers using seperated op-amps and external resistors (in retrospect unfortunatley I should have used either instrumentation amplifiers or difference amplifiers with laser trimmed internal resistors). I am using 1% resistors and have noticed that the common mode is having an effect on the gain that I wish it changes i.e. changes depending on the input voltage. In the application space I am working the difference in voltage between inputs will be between 0.1-1V. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more suitable op-amp for this application, I am also going to try switching to 0.1% resistors to see how much of an effect that has but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Art
Hi ATM,

In addition to the points made by the other members above, I would recommend changing to a Texas Instruments OPA2197 opamp: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2197.pdf

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back