Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Base output characteristic

Status
Not open for further replies.

meliomelenios

Hello people!

I am reading some transistor theory, and curently i am reading about the common base connection. I have seen that we need to calculate some metrics to get the Ic (which equals -approx- to Ie) and Vcb values of the polarization, so that we can draw the load line on the Ic -> Vbc characteristic. This characteristic is something like this:

http://ecelab.com/vcb-ic-curves.htm

Funny thing is that, no matter how many transistor datasheets i have open (and i have open A LOT), i could not find not a single one datasheets which has this characteristic. I mean, i have seen the output characteristic for Common Emitter connection, but there is nothing for the Common Base....

What is wrong here?????? Where can i find these characteristics for a transistor?

Nothing wrong. It's just that, since the common base connection is seldom used in electronics, the characteristic curves for such a configuration are not typically shown in a data sheet. But they can be derived, to a good approximation, from the common-emitter curves that are shown.

hi,
The common Base configuration has the lowest impedance of the basic configs of a transistor, in the order of 50R.
Its got the highest output impedance ~1megR.
Current gain less than 1, same voltage gain as a common Emitter, no phase inversion of the signal .

Nothing wrong. It's just that, since the common base connection is seldom used in electronics, the characteristic curves for such a configuration are not typically shown in a data sheet. But they can be derived, to a good approximation, from the common-emitter curves that are shown.

thank you all for your reply.

Carl, can you explain me how can i change the CE curves to gain the CB curves? I understand that Ic axis will remain as is, and the Ie characteristics are almost parallel to Vcb. But how does Vcb changes on the shaft?

Thanks

Why are you using common base?
I use common base in fast video amplifiers to remove Miller capacitance feedback.
In RF amplifiers where the part is run very fast.
A couple times in off line switching power supplies (10000Vce), I will not do that again.
You will see data sheets mention common base only on fast and fast high voltage transistors. RF & Video output transistors.

Why are you using common base?
I use common base in fast video amplifiers to remove Miller capacitance feedback.
In RF amplifiers where the part is run very fast.
A couple times in off line switching power supplies (10000Vce), I will not do that again.
You will see data sheets mention common base only on fast and fast high voltage transistors. RF & Video output transistors.

Can you please provide me some links for datasheet from transistor with such a characteristic (Ic-Vcb). I don't use CB connection, i am only doing a research.

(Ic-Vcb) is almost the same as (Ic-Vce).
Vcb + Vbe = Vce
Vbe is about 0.7 volts.
The Vcb can go slightly negative. Collector below Base, when the transistor is turn on hard.
If you really need Vcb then do some math with the data you have.

(Ic-Vcb) is almost the same as (Ic-Vce).
Vcb + Vbe = Vce
Vbe is about 0.7 volts.
The Vcb can go slightly negative. Collector below Base, when the transistor is turn on hard.
If you really need Vcb then do some math with the data you have.

Thank you ronsimpson a lot! You saved me another day of searching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back