Comma required or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
English is pidgeon language invented in what is now Yorkshire, now known as a "coolie" because that's what happens to pidgeon languages which have become "proper". So it's not a real language at all. The US really should have gone with French if they wanted a proper language, no confusion then. No wonder it's so confusing. I'm 100% with Mike on the comma before "and" though, never heard of a rule against it - the rule is you never have a comma after "and".

Here are some comma rules: **broken link removed**

German, with all of the masuline, feminine and neuter nouns drove me nuts with no way to intuitivle figure out the one that belongs.

eT

Reminds me of when I came on to ETO. Notice I didn't say "It reminds me of when I first joined, ETO or It, reminds me of when I first joined ETO"

Anyway, people in the U.K. didn't know what I was meaning or going on about? What? Going on about, or on about? Even when I attempt grammar, they still don't know what I'm talking about

A question, when speaking

At home there is a dog, a cat, a spider, and a snake.

Do you pause on the last comma?

And, how do you Americans use commas with but?

Mike.

When reading it I pause. If I was just telling someone abmout my pets it would depend a lot on the context.

I think that the division across the pond will bring all of us a little closer, Day by Day. And as we speak the uses of the proper English vs the non-proper English, maybe we will eventually become fused a English. All do to the fact evolving languages seem to do that over century's.

Then suddenly someone has a great idea, let's tabulate and correlate. Now you have a written and never forgotten language, that everyone will argue is the right language.

So, now have a language that will makes sense. Only for the greater population, but the lesser will or destain the use of it. They don't want to or cannot understand it. (Notice I didn't use can't, for cannot)

If your an English Major you could pick me apart, but in the forum. Most will over look.

I see less of the .txt speak on the forum, most know not to use it.

Herb vs 'erb is an interesting one. Here in Britain we believe that to pronounce the "h" is the One True Way, and that the American pronunciation, 'erb, is strange and foolish. However I looked into it, being a curious soul, and discovered that herb is a French word, the correct pronunciation (if you are French) is without the "h", which the Americans have mostly kept, and it is only due to it's written form being prevalent that the British started to aspirate the "h".

In London , U K , Erb lives down the street from Arry, just around the corner from Enry !

Some people use a decimal point instead of a comma (10.000 ohms instead of 10,000 ohms) which is very confusing.
Spelling is different between British and American (colour and color).

British chaps pronounce "aluminum" differently than North Americans. Aluminium? They also say, "wo-tah" instead of water, but the only "O" in water is H2O.

British chaps pronounce "aluminum" differently than North Americans. Aluminium?

That's because Aluminium is the correct way!

They also say, "wo-tah" instead of water, but the only "O" in water is H2O.

Nope, the English don't say that, we say 'water'.

There may be an occasional weird regional accent that says 'wo-tah', but the vast majority don't.

You've not been watching American actors trying to do English accents have you?, they are always absolutely abysmal, and bear no resemblance to English.

LOL.... They think we're all cockney..... Bad speaking cockney's at that....

That's because Aluminium is the correct way!
You are correct. I was wrong.
I looked at the spelling of Aluminium in most countries and it was changed from aluminum to aluminium so that its has the same suffix as other metals like lithium, magnesium and titanium.

There are many sites in Google that demonstrate pronunciation of the word "water" by Brits, Americans and Canadians.
Nearly all of the Brits say, "WOtah" but some say, "Wahtah", the Americans say, "Wahdder" and the Canadians say, "Wahter".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…