Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Combining Audio Amp Outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacroix

Hi,
Newbie here - I hope this is the correct area for this?

I have a Hifi system that has Bi-amped outputs feeding its own speakers - Sounds great and all that BUT- I want to be able to speaker switch so that I can have a pair of remote speakers in another room - Clearly I cant switch two pairs of connections and anyway my extension speakers have internal x-overs.
So is there a (relatively simple) way of combining the speaker level, high and low frequency outputs together without causing damage to the intenal amps or adversley affecting the sound quality. (I'm not concerned about audiophile - just decent)

Thanks for your time.

The speakers with their own internal crossover networks need to have their own power amplifiers.

If they are exactly the same bi-amped speakers as the others then their tweeters can be connected in parallel and their woofers can be connected in parallel if the amp can drive paralleled speakers.

Thanks Audioguru,
I think I've not been quite clear;
What I want to do is combine the HF and LF outs out of the amp so that I can put them through a standard speaker switch box (which only switches 2 connections per channel not 4)
Then I can connect to 'normal' speakers that have internal cross-overs.
I am concerned that if I merely bridge the HF and LF outs together this might load the amps or something?
Cheers

No you can't do that, you need to use just one on the amps (the bass one) and disconnect the filters on the input. I would expect it to be switchable, or at least disconnected by links.

You must not short together the outputs of amplifiers. Certainly not when they have completely different outputs (HF and LF).

Your 'normal' speakers with built-in crossover networks need their own wideband amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back