Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Colour TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justice

I have a TEK 54cm colour TV. It makes a reddish screen and lines running parallel on the screen! Audio is still fine but what I cant understand is the unusual colour! I tried adjusting the tranformer but nothing positive happens. May you please tell me Which components are responsible for the problem.

Thank you

What you are seeing is typically retrace lines. If it is CRT, might have a weak picture tube, might try adjusting the screen control on the flyback transformer. If that dont work, try reducing the drive to the RBG pots on the circuit board on the back of the pix tube, if it has one.

Thank you for the reply, I've tried to adjust all the controls on the tranformer but it couldn't get better! It doesn't have anything adjustable on the circiut board on the pix tube! instead it has three resistors that get very hot on that circuit.

Sounds a lot like maybe a similar problem as zenith TV's. It must be a crt probably toast. Possible you have shorted drive transistor most likely it will just continue some tv repair shops have a Tube restoration box ? To me it's a waist of time. If you can get them to do it for free it's a lot of fun to watch.

Yeah, sounds like a bad pic tube, maybe you could find someone with a pic tube rejuvenator. I used to have one, was a heath kit. Might be able to find one off Ebay. But best bet is to just replace the TV. Or sell it on ebay.

Tacan said:
But best bet is to just replace the TV. Or sell it on ebay.
Everbody sells their defective products on E-Bay.
Does anybody sell anything on E-Bay that works properly??

Well when you sell it on ebay, make sure you tell them that the pic tube is bad, maybe someone that has the same model might have a bad board and buy it, never know. People buy the strangest stuff on ebay.

Tacan said:
Yeah, sounds like a bad pic tube, maybe you could find someone with a pic tube rejuvenator. I used to have one, was a heath kit. Might be able to find one off Ebay. But best bet is to just replace the TV. Or sell it on ebay.

Bad advice. CRT rejuvinators may make the tube last whole day after it leaves the repair shop.

Selling defective merchandise on Ebay shows a disregard for your fellow man.

Getting the CRT rebuilt is an option but, seeing as how new video interfaces are so economical, buying a new is probably more prudent.

I did not mean to offend.
But let me clarify. I have used rejuvinators many times in the day, and had crt's last years. But true, depending on the shape of the CRT, it may not last long.

I in no way support cheating anyone selling defective or otherwise,merchandise. i merely meant that someone may want and could use the good chassis. Just like i might buy a Tek 7704A scope on ebay that has a bad crt, i could use the rest of the boards. Instead of trashing it, someone could use the parts.

I did not say to get the CRT rebuilt, i said to replace the TV.

Just wanted to clear things up.

Cheers, Dave

You didn't post your location. Are you aware that in many places analog TVs are obsolete within a few years? Tube type TVs waste a lot of power anyways, have you considered recycling it?

Just like Plasma to be replaced by LCD's. I'm not going to buy one yet they'll have to pry my CRT outta my cheap cold hand and replace it with an LCD. :)

mneary said:
You didn't post your location. Are you aware that in many places analog TVs are obsolete within a few years? Tube type TVs waste a lot of power anyways, have you considered recycling it?

Often less power than a Plasma!.

audioguru said:
Everbody sells their defective products on E-Bay.
Does anybody sell anything on E-Bay that works properly??
I bought a 2 carat diamond solitaire ring off of eBay for my wife. It worked, despite that it doesn't require batteries, no electronic components, no programming or alignment. It didn't even come with an operator's manual, let alone a service manual. It's been working daily, flawlessly now for many years. Considering that, I can't say anything bad about eBay.:p

mneary said:
Of comparable dimensions?:eek: I use an LCD, so I wouldn't know.

Modern CRT's are quite efficient, and you obviously don't get them as large as you get Plasma's - but Plasma's are very power hungry, although more recent ones are better in that respect.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Modern CRT's are quite efficient, and you obviously don't get them as large as you get Plasma's - but Plasma's are very power hungry, although more recent ones are better in that respect.

Is that why I'm blowing up the X/Y boards on the Sony's at the University ?

I've had two go already Under Warranty now I have a Third out of Warranty.

killivolt said:
Is that why I'm blowing up the X/Y boards on the Sony's at the University ?

I've had two go already Under Warranty now I have a Third out of Warranty.

Plasma TV's are notoriously unreliable, which is presumably why Sony dropped Plasma and went LCD only?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back