Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Color organ set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
LEDs operate from low voltage current-limited DC, not high voltage high current AC.
So make a video of your LEDs blowing up and post the video here.

That kit is designed for incandescent 120 volt lamps. I am familiar with it.

Years ago I used one to power strings of C7 bulbs (old style christmas tree). It was pretty cool. Anyway, it uses 3 SCRs to run standard 120 volt AC incandescent bulbs. You are good up to about 200 watts per channel.

Ron

Last edited:
This link is to a page containing links to color organ circuits. Among them is this 12 volt DC version. It could likely be modified for use with LEDs. However, I am not sure how well it would work out.

Generally the intensity of a LED is changed using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and not simply varying the current (voltage).

A Google of LED Color Organ Kit brought up plenty of hits so you may want to try that if LEDs are the goal.

Ron

Thx Reloadron,
I bought the kit from Electronic Goldmine for a fun project but I have something new on my mind now.
I need to make a portable sound activated LED. LED must respond to sound and light up depending how strong the sound is. If no sound, no light.

I did some searching and found this schematic. (see attached)
It looks simple enough but is this what I need?

Attachments

• Sound LED3..PNG
    Sound LED3..PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 764
The circuit you posted is sort of crude but would work, not great but should work. It lacks a sensitivity adjustment. This is one of those things that depends on how fancy you want to get.

Ron

I think the very simple circuit will not be sensitive enough because the low input impedance of the first transistor loads down the mic and the low input impedance of the second transistor loads down the first transistor.
If you hold the mic close to your mouth and speak loudly then it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back