color organ project help

Status
Not open for further replies.

roflcakes

Hi,

I just finished up my first year of electronics classes at college and I was looking into something that I could build now that I'm not loaded down with classwork... and I discovered color organs.

Specifically, this is the circuit that I've found Color Organ and there are a couple things I don't understand about it.

1) The speaker input -- Should this be plugged into a stereo? Ipod?

2) 117 volt isolation transformer -- What is this for and what does it connect to? Where would I get one of these?

3) SCR -- I haven't learned anything about these yet, are there different kinds of them? Any I should not use?

Thanks for any help!

Hope his helps

Unless you are intent on building one from scratch, a kit would be a lot easier. If you Google "color organ" you'll get several hits.

I considered buying a kit to make one of these but I thought that if I make it myself it will give me a chance to learn more about this stuff. And because it would be cool to build one on my own, too.

So from what I understand, this will plug into the wall and the transformer will step the voltage down to one that the lamps can manage. I plan to use LEDs for as the lamps. If I were going to use say, 3 LEDs in parallel on each channel, what transformer would I use or how do I go about deciding? For deciding on the SCR... they just have to have a rating that can handle the current going to the LEDs?

The color organ circuit you were looking at is designed for high power incandescent light bulbs. A color organ circuit that drives LEDs is completely different.

If yoou know nothing bout electronics, a color organ is a fairly simple project, but also fairly dangerous, as most are not isolated from the mains supply making it very easy to give yourself a good solid shock.
Its also easy to vapourize the sourse of audio by accidentally touching the wrong connection to 120volts....ooops.

I made a small fortune in the 80s in high school during the height of the disco era selling color organs and strobes.
My favorite LED color organ circuits are here:

The Electronic Peasant's LED Color Organ Page

The LED units are considerably more complex, but 100x safer.

Last edited:
An LED colour organ is probably the best choice for a newb as no nasty mains voltages are involve - the whole thing can be run off a safe transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…